Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lucky Me

We are all at a stand-still here on Bell Street. I don't know why I always take this route. I should have taken Western. Bell is always the worst. I often wonder if there's some sort of accident up ahead. Perhaps I've chosen the path directly behind the carnage, and now we are being slowly and clumsily bottle-necked into one slow moving lane.

But that is rarely the case. There is simply too much traffic this time of day. I usually avoid the rush. I go to work at six or seven, not nine. The professional world is still in bed, trying to find the strength to face another day at the office, but I am already hard at work, organizing, packaging, filling counters, checking numbers and yelling at big burly boys with big sharp knives. I have to paint a fake smile on my face and greet those cantankerous customers as if I had invited them myself, but it's cool. They pay me, you know.

Not today. Today I am stuck in traffic with the sun-seeking world, trying to creep my way across town to my regular mechanic. My motor mounts need replacing, and I've been putting it off far too long.
I could tell you about the hell I went through last month with a mechanic who was not my regular guy, but it's really only of interest to me. To you, it would just sound like bitching.

That financial stress on top of my daughter and grandson moving to another state, Matthew being on the runaway list for weeks, Jacob and David jumping individually from one place to the next to the next, the situation at work...other things...

I'm stuck in traffic now. My fingers are wrapped firmly around the steering wheel at TEN &TWO. I am not rubbernecking to see what the problem is. I am not revving my engine to ready myself to change lanes at the first opening. I am simply sitting and waiting for things to move forward.


She's over there in her car with her elegant hand hanging out the driver's side window barely holding onto the cigarette between her perfectly manicured fingers. Her long hair has been pulled into a messy tail. It is bobbing back and forth to the music she hears. She is singing along with all abandon. I can almost read her perfectly painted lips.

Curiosity gets the best of me. I lower my passenger window just enough to identify the song. Taylor Swift. Of course.

For a moment, I wish I was her. I want to be that carefree girl who sings love songs in traffic during the morning rush. I wish I could turn it on, turn it up and croon it out with no regard for the cranky, stressed-out woman in the next car who doesn't particularly favor Taylor Swift.

The movement of my window grabs her attention. She catches me staring. Her face twists into a scowl. She changes immediately into what I can only decribe as a Harpy. She flicks her lit cigarette toward my car and flips me the bird.

I nonchalantly push the power window button. The glass returns to its original position, protecting me from her assault and her bad attitude. I look anywhere but her direction and smile to myself.

How lucky I am not to be anything like her.
.
.
.
.
.

17 comments:

  1. No kindding. After all, TaylormutherfuckingSwift, for fuck's sake...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't deny, Taylor's got some catchy tunes, but you won't catch me downloading anything of hers on my player.

      Delete
  2. Great description of your surroundings. I could imagine it all, especially the bitch we the ciggerette. I also liked the way you decided not to tell us about your mechanic, because you didn't want to bitch and we wouldn't be interested: maybe true, maybe not, but great thought and control of your writing. Your blog had always been one of my favourites to read.

    PS - HTF wasn't I the first to comment on this post? That guy above must be your stalker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who, Robbie? I'm cool with him stalking me. I stalk him right back.
      Just like I stalk you. ;)

      Delete
  3. Perfectly done. Gotta say though, I am usually that girl in traffic that sings along with the radio (when I have one) and does a little chair dancin'.

    Then I get the kids into it.

    I have also been known to recruit other cars in my nonsense as well when the jam is really bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just see you doing that. Traffic Jam Cheerleader! (My kids will head-bang in the car. I'm not ashamed of this.)

      Delete
  4. Nessa don't judge me... I have Taylor Swift on my playlist... I love a good messy bun... I (to the embarrassment of my children) sing with reckless abandon any time I'm in the car... and I occasionally flip people the bird - and usually it's when I'm in Amarillo... but I however have horrible nails and do NOT smoke... although I do enjoy a low end cold beer but never in the car... you could sing, and have nice long hair for a good messy bun but be a bitch???? never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Maria! It was the bitch in her that made it all so unwantable! (and, yes, I have a messy bun on occasion, myself.)

      Delete
  5. jeez, flips you the bird just for looking at her? and you know she's the type that does herself up just so people WILL look at her.
    but i guess if you live in society you have to put up with idiots from time to time or most of the time.
    sorry to hear your daughter and grandson are moving. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I wasn't her type...(snicker, snicker)

      And the daughter and grandson are already gone. I'm lonelier and sadder than I ever thought I would be, but I have to let them spread their wings at some point.

      Delete
  6. Well I never... flicking her cigarette at you - and the bird?! I should have turned it up louder. Not sure about Taylor Swift myself, but hey, ho. If she's happy, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more funny than offensive, just because I'm not easily offended. People can be such fools sometimes.

      Delete
  7. Motor mounts? I should probably know what that is, eh? I'd be in big trouble if I got so much as a flat tire--I'm entirely car illiterate (it wasn't always that way!).

    Taylor Swift. Sheesh--even my 12 year old daughter doesn't like her. She did at one time, though. Now she's all about One Direction, and she wants me to buy $300. tix for her to go a concert of their's that isn't until NEXT year. Ha! By then she probably won't even be interested in One Direction. And I sure is hell ain't spending that kind of $$ for a teenie bopper concert (or any concert for that matter).

    I'm sending you a BIG cyberhug, Nessa. Everyone can use one of those now and then, and I think now is as good a time as ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hug, Jayne. Once in a while, I really do need one.

      Delete
  8. Don't worry, Nessa. This girl will eventually grow old, lose her looks, and still have that bad personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, smoking those cigarettes won't help her singing career much at all.

      Delete
  9. Wonderfully written story. Though I wished really hard for her to smile, I loved your ending all the better for it.

    ReplyDelete