Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Back to the Front

Three days of crutches were three days more than I ever wanted to experience, so I tossed them to the side and limped around with an exoskeleton around my right leg for a month. Now that it's gone, I kinda want it back.

Regular shoes seem inadequate.

I'm still wobbly and weak.

The sadists down at Physical Therapy get to have a go at it now, but in the meantime, I'm confined to desk work.

The problem here is that I like the desk job more than my real job.

A lot more.

I like being behind the scenes, out of view, out of the way..and out of mind.

I'm a little bummed that I'll be fully mobile again, and I'll be slung back into the pit, fully visible, fully functional...and within reach.

No exoskeleton anywhere in sight.


8 comments:

  1. What, you haven't read about loin girding?
    But, face it with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always face it with a smile.
      Mostly because they pay me to smile.

      Delete
  2. Personally, I'd see lack of mobility as slow death. Although, an exoskeleton, purely for extra armor when faced with a crowd, sounds kind of nifty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting in and out of the car was hell. I like being able to just go somewhere. I like freedom. But at least it was only temporary...

      Delete
  3. So what you say is that a desk job is not a real job >;)
    I think I agree. Lots of the things people do sitting by desks do not produce real value.

    The guys in the physical therapy are just wannabe-sadists. The real sadists work at the dentist's.

    Cold As Heaven


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy bookkeeping. But I wouldn't do it if I didn't get paid. So it's a job. A real job.

      Delete
    2. My office job is research (in geophysics). I enjoy it so much that I would probably do it even without getting paid. The I guess its like s hobby and not a real job >:)

      Delete
  4. Well, I have to say, I worked retail for YEARS. I liked working the floor, but I LOVED escaping back to the office and handling payroll, inventory, scheduling, etc. So, yeah, I get it. Hope you're well on the mend by now...

    ReplyDelete