Tuesday, September 11, 2012

From the Heart

Eleven years ago, I sat in my living room beside my (then) boyfriend Jeremy glued to my bubble screen TV wondering what was going to happen to our country next. There was no Facebook; there was no text-messaging; there was no Skype. I had to pick up the phone to call my loved ones to hear their voices and sigh with relief that they were okay.

I wanted to run to the school and gather my children close to me.

I wanted my mom.

Even though the tragedy of that day didn't affect me directly, it definitely affected me. Nobody in my family died. None of my friends died. We each woke up the next day and went on with our forever-changed lives, and we considered ourselves lucky for it.

I am truly thankful to be alive and safe today with all of my children within arm's reach.

Thank you Jeffery, Jodie, Destiny, Randy, Jeremy, Brian A, Brian N, Uncle Kelton, Dad, GrandDad, Shanna, Jason, Clint, Eduardo, Brandon W and all those who have stood up to protect our rights, our freedoms, and our lives.

15 comments:

  1. On that day I had someone snap at me for being sarcastic when I quoted the opening lines of Sunday, Bloody Sunday, totally missing the context. My Grandmother told me the event was my generation's Pearl Harbor. It was a cosmically heavy day, for certain.

    This was beautiful, and, you're right, we've all go a bit to be grateful for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is a perfect fit for many different historical events. I hope whoever snapped at you didn't hurt your feeling too badly. It was an emotional day.

      Delete
    2. Truth be told me saying;

      "It's a song about a terrorist attack, you daffy bitch!"

      Probably hurt her feelings far more. She was still sobbing as I walked away.

      Delete
  2. Thoughtful post Nessa. Seems like it was just yesterday - 11 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed. I remember the day vividly, from beginning to end.

      Delete
  3. I remember that day, where I was, what I was wearing, the way my mouth dropped open and stayed open -- and then bursting into tears as I realized we were going to war and that it was my son's 17th birthday.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet he thought about enlisting...
      One of mine is talking about it these days. :(

      Delete
  4. I remember the morning as if it were yesterday - one of my work colleagues rushed into the office shouting "put the tv on - the news you won't believe even when you see it"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Everyplace we went that day had the news on. And nobody wanted to believe it.

      Delete
  5. yep...very tragic in so many ways and in so many dimensions...i reckon we still feel the impact of it today and the probably greater impact it has had on the lives of folk around the world, no matter where they are...jeez 11 yrs ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised sometimes by the magnitude of it.

      Delete
  6. Whenever I think of that day, I'm back sitting on the 17th floor of the office block where I worked, looking out over the river thames and wondering if we'd see planes coming towards us too. I know how much I and so many others have to be thankful for. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, it was a frightening day, week, year, decade...for so many different peoples.

      Delete
  7. I remember being in Central London at work and our network connection had gone down so we went into John Lewis to find out what was happening. We just couldn't believe it. Then one of my friends was evacuated from Canary Wharf as a precaution. I really feel for everyone affected by the events of that terrible day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in San Antonio, Texas that day 11 years ago. Far away from my family who were worried. I told them I was fine and a long way from NYC, quite safe.

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete